Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Hurricane Assignment

This assignment began with some information on hurricanes and some of the ways GIS is used in the recovery and planning for these storms. This particular project dealt with the storm surge from Hurricane Wilma in Key West, FL.

We began by exploring the elevation of the area and how low the entire Key is. This is shown above. Next we moved to how the Key was impacted by the storm surge from Wilma, which was recorded at 8 feet. We displayed the results by land type, and produced a graph showing the percentages of the flooded areas that fell into each land type.


For the assignment, we were required to make a bar graph (in the image above,) but I decided to also make a pie chart to illustrate the same information in a different way.



Finally, we produced a map showing the affects of the storm surge on infrastructure and hospitals.
I enjoyed the assignment and how it was related to a real-world event. I struggled at times, but completed the assignment by repeatedly referring back to project 1 to help me with this project.
This assignment also had me delve into areas of ArcMap that I had not yet gotten into. I had not done graphing inside ArcMap before, and enjoyed playing around with the graph settings. Also, I had not done labeling different feature classes before and this seems like it will be very useful in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment