Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Deliverables 1 & 2

Week 1 Deliverable 1


This assignment was to complete the ESRI Virtual Campus Course: Getting Started with ArcGIS Desktop. In this course I learned some of the basic ways to use ArcMap and later ArcCatalog. This was my first real use of either of these programs, so there was no familiarity for me. Luckily, the directions were well written and the accompanying screenshots were very useful to help make sure I was on track.

The final result of the exercise was to create a map which highlights where the San Diego Zoo is located. I actually ended up completing this exercise twice because the first time I didn't export my map. It was helpful for me to do it again because I could focus more on understanding what I was doing as opposed to just being sure I was following the directions correctly. At one point I had some trouble zooming in, but quickly realized there were two different zooming tools, one for the layout and one for the data. Got it figured out pretty quickly and was on my way.


Week 1 Deliverable 2
This part of the course had me creating a map of possible locations for a Youth Center. I had some trouble with one part of the exercise where I was supposed to find all the possible available buildings within an area I had selected. I completed the step incorrectly a few times before finally realizing that there was one box I had not checked that would limit the search to the selected area instead of the whole layer. After this was corrected, I had no other major problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment