Tuesday, February 9, 2010

3 Maps of Florida


Not Quite the Same
These maps were created to show how differences can occur depending on which coordinate system is used. The area (in Square Miles) is different for the selected counties, even though the same base file was used to create all three of the maps.

This exercise took much longer than I was expecting. I forgot how to isolate the different counties and had some trouble with the SQL query when I was attempting to create a new layer with only those counties listed. After searching for a long time, I figured it out. I realized as I was figuring it out that I could complete the exercise without creating a new layer- but at least now I know how to word the query. I wasn't too sure about the layout of the final version either. No matter which way I put the maps, I had a bunch of space left over. In the end, I went with the boxy looking presentation above and tried to position the North Arrow and Scale Bar to take up some of the space.

In this assignment there were some instructions to complete without step by step instructions. It was difficult to figure out how to do some of the things I wanted the program to do. I actually think this helped me because I was just poking around trying to figure it out using past lessons and not relying on step by step directions. I think I will be able to retain some more of the information I learned because it was presented in this way.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your layout. Wish I'd though about doing mine that way.

    ReplyDelete